E-Mobility will change the way we use vehicles.
The e-revolution in the automotive industry has far-reaching consequences for production: The variety of variants and increasing quality requirements in the powertrain sector are being continuously supplemented today by the newly emerging drive concepts for hybrid and electric drives.
As a result of this pressure to innovate, adaptable concepts are becoming increasingly important, as these market requirements call for highly flexible and process-reliable production systems. PIA focuses on flexible assembly stations, high-precision measuring machines and testing machines with patented technology.
Portfolio of processes and tests
- Assembly layouts based on lean aspects
- Value stream analysis
- Flexible employee deployment
- Laser beam welding
- Drive set adjustment stations
- Dynamic torsional backlash testing
- Collar nut bolting
- EOL tester (structure-borne sound and function)
- Standardized process or function modules
- Control unit flashing
- EOL tests (structure-borne and airborne sound, function, overall transmission play, insulation test, high-voltage test, resistance measurement, back-EMF test, resolver offset measurement, parking lock gear test)
- Rotor assembly
- Stator assembly
- Winding with partner
- ESD scalability
With PIA production processes, our customers are already using the know-how for tomorrow’s drive technology
Electric drive concepts supplement the internal combustion engine or replace it completely. PIA is one of the first movers at the forefront of this development. One of the key technologies is the hybridization of vehicle drives.
PIA Automation focuses on this new drive technology with tailor-made production, testing and quality assurance concepts. Thanks to extensive production and testing know-how, we successfully master the very special challenges in this sector.
Conventional powertrain systems consist of an internal combustion engine and a transmission. Hybrid drive systems combine these traditional powertrain components with new electrical components such as an electric motor, inverter and energy storage such as a battery.
Hybrid technology has the right of way at PIA.
Our extensive experience with conventional powertrain concepts benefits the new e-technologies. We have already gained an immense knowledge of the characteristics of hybrid drives and put it into practice. This capability allows us to integrate all the required components into one system.
We offer our customers individual solutions from a single source:
- Laser welding of hybrid components
- Assembly of hybrid modules
- End-of-line test benches (functional test and noise, vibration and harshness [NVH] test) especially for hybrid concepts
We have specialized in the production of assembly line systems for electric drives for many years now. The future belongs to smart electric vehicles – and they will perhaps be autonomously controlled sooner than we think.
At PIA Automation, we have dealt intensively with the topic of e-drives right from the outset. We have specialized in the production of assembly line systems for electric and hybrid drives for many years.
Our experience shows us that maximum of flexibility in terms of production type, diversity and quantity is a decisive criterion.
We can achieve this adaptability with our complete assembly lines for electric motors and hybrid modules in automated manufacturing processes.
Besides the planning, development and production of assembly lines, we also offer comprehensive quality assurance tests. Our test benches can inspect and test all types of electric motors fully automatically – and consequently cost-efficiently. This applies to all relevant test procedures.
Our services in the e-drive sector include:
- Flexible assembly lines (quantity-dynamic and multiple variants)
- Recording of all production process data for the traceability of quality assurance
- End-of-line testing – all performance data of the engine is checked
- Battery simulators
- Noise and vibration testing
The heart of the electric drive just can’t be reliable enough. PIA has the production solution for durable power units.
The security aspect and the fulfillment of customer expectations demand durable and reliable battery systems. A battery system consists of individual battery cells and modules that are distributed in series and in parallel. The performance, safety and longevity of these cells are crucial to the overall performance and market success of e-vehicles.
PIA supplies the know-how for the production and testing of batteries:
- Laser welding systems for connecting the battery cells
- Final assembly line systems for battery modules
- Assembly line systems for battery connectors
- Production line systems for battery connectors (HV)
- Inspection and test stands for battery modules
The connection between the battery and the engine. Assembly, laser welding, testing, ensuring performance: We have the assembly and testing process of e-drive technology 100% under control.
The inverter is a power converter. It sits between the electric drive (E-Drive) and the battery system in the vehicle. There are two ways of placing inverters in vehicles:
- It is positioned directly on the e-drive.
- It is mounted in the vehicle.
PIA Automation has the right production solution for both variants. Modern assembly and testing systems must be able to be integrated quickly into an automation environment due to time and cost constraints. Test procedures are not only carried out in special laboratories, but in the production environment itself.
When integrating inverters, PIA supports all relevant assembly and testing processes:
- Laser welding systems
- Functional test
- Performance testing